Until 1904, during British rule, Samundri was headquarters of a tehsil in the district of Jhang. With the creation of Lyallpur District the Samudri Tehsil was transferred to this district. At that time having an area of 1,309 square miles (3,390 km2).
The population in 1906 was 266,277, at that time it contains 495 villages, including Samundri (population, 765), the headquarters. The land revenue and cesses in 1905-6 amounted to 6-7 lakhs. The tehsil consists of a level plain sloping gently towards the Ravi and the Deg on the south, and is now wholly irrigated by the Chenab Canal, except for a few scattered plots in the Ravi lowlands which still depend on wells. The soil generally is a fine loam. The boundaries of the tahsil were somewhat modified at the time of the formation of the new District.
The total area of the Tehsil was 4,99,462 Acres which was reduced to 2,22,005 Acres as a result of its bifurcation in 1994.
In 1994, Tehsil Samundri was divided in two parts and a new Tehsil namely Tandlianwala was established. Now Tehsil Samundri is half of its original shape. As far as the name of Samundri is concerned, different views are found in this regard. According to the historian research, majority of Hindus were residing in this area and three mandar were established for pray worship according to the Hindus faith and in persion language this city was called Seh mandari. After passage of time this Seh mandari converted into Samundri.
Tehsil Samundri is a close part of Asian Manchester City District Faisalabad which is famous all over the world for his textile products. How interested is it that there present Federal Minister for Textiles also belongs to Tehsil Samundri, But not a single Textile industry in Tehsil Samundri.
The main industry of this Tehsil is relates to poultry Sector and some oil Mills.
TEHSIL SAMUNDRI AT A GLANCE
|Tehsil was established in the year||1897.|
|Non Agri. Land||36270|
|No. of Union Councils||28|
|No. of Villages||133|
|No. of Qaunoongoi||6|
|No. of Patwar circles||49|
- Govt. Post Graduate Degree College Samundri (For Boys)
- Govt. Degree College Samundri (For Girls)
- Govt. Commerce College Samundri.
- Govt. Vocational training College Samundri.
- Shibly College Of Commerce Samundri.
- Govt. High School No. 1 Samundri.
- Govt. High School No. 2 Samundri.
- Govt. High School No. 1 Samundri (For Girls).
- Govt. High School No. 2 Samundri (For Girls).
- New Afaq Higher Secondary School Samundri.
- Muslim Scholars High School Samundri.
- Dawn Pre Cadet High School Samundri.
- Saleemi Vital High School Samundri.
- Govt. Midle School No. 3 Samundri.
- So Many Primary and Midle Schools in this Town.
- Gojra Samundri Sugar Mills Ltd Samundri.
- Tandlianwala Sugar Mills Ltd Samundri.
- Cotton Ginning Factories.
- Poultery Farming.
- Kaleen Bani.
- No Ciema
- No Theatre
- Public Library
- Public Gimnasium
- Footbal Stadium
- Al-Hasaan Surgical & Medical Center.
- Civil Hospital With 40 Beds
- Young Welfare Hospital Trust
- Chawla Medical Complex Hospital
- Mattab Hakeem abdul rehman nehar bazar ciculroad.
- Sajjad Medical Center (Altoor Hospital) Faisalabad road
- Rao Kashif Rahim Khan MPA (PML N)
- Prithviraj Kapoor, a renowned film actor, was born into a middle class landlord family in Samundri.
- Ch Muhammad Sharif (Ex Director FIA)
- Haji Muhammad Irshad . Nazim UC 109 Samundri. President District Football Association Faisalabad.
- Ch Mehdi Khan (Late Ex. MPA)
- Ch Imam Din Gujjar ( Late 1st Transporter of Samundri )
- Ch Pervaiz Sultan (Late Ex.MPA)
- Ch Safdar Shakar (Ex.MNA)
- Ch Shah Nawaz (Town Nazam)
- Rana Azhar Awais Khan GENRL.SACRT.Muslim LEG.Q
- Rana Sami u Rahman Khan Prsd.0f SAHARA FOOT BALL CLUB
- Rana Hafeez ur Rehaman Khan EPM.
- Rana M.Gulraiz Tahir Student(Gov.College Samundri)
- Ch Khalid Nabi (Ex.MPA)
- Rana Farooq Ahmed Khan (MNA, federal minister, District President PPPP)
- Ch Arif Gill (Ex.MPA)
- Ch. Akhtar Hussain Advocate late Three time, President Bar Association of Samundri, UC 106 Nazim.
- Dr.Ghulam Rasul Malik, late Retired Medical Suprintendent , A well known and acknowledged physician and surgeon.
- ch.Mani gujjar (president gujjar association samundri) chak.217 g.b
- Ch Basharat Rafique Gujjar ( Computer Genious )
- Mian Amir Nazam UC 122 Chack no 390
- SUBIH SADIQ SUPERVISOR OPTICAL FIBER ENGINEER(PTCL)
- Dr.Ibad Ali Malik ( surprust-e- ala anjmin malik bradri, and well known physician and surgeon)
- Ch Qaiser Khalique Gujjar Chak.217 g.b ( President of Gujjar Youth Forum Tehsil Samundri )